Saturday, January 26, 2013

WOW!  Today I had a full 5 hours straight I could dedicate to working on the guitar.  Let me first say that I got a little overwhelmed as I was sanding and shaping the binding edge and realized that about 20 years ago, Semie Moseley was carving out this body by hand himself.  No pressure!  The binding really turned out quite well.  Hard to believe it was my first attempt at binding a guitar.  Go big or go home they say!  Photos below show the progress of scraping, shaving and sanding down the binding to be flush with the body.  I also had to do some sanding on the body to get it flush with the binding in a few spots.  Did a little more work to the transition from the german carve to the tip of the horns.  I think they look pretty good.






Next step is to do grain filler, and let that dry, sand the entire body again and then we can move on to the next most nerve wracking part... the finish!  Going to try my best to duplicate an original sunburst.  I've got water based lacquer and some "vintage amber", "orange", and "black" tints for the lacquer to do the busrt with.

No comments:

Post a Comment