Sunday, January 20, 2013

It's been a month since I got the Mosrite body and I'm trying to get things together and all in order to really get going on this project.  I have been researching the way the binding was done on these models and finally think I have a good grasp on what needs to be done in that department.

Tonight I spent about an hour with various sand paper, sanding pads and a scraper to gently sculpt and shape the tips of the "horns" in regard to the German Carve.  Since this body had it's slight slip of the router, it was set aside and never sanded and prepared to finishing.  If you compare with the original photos, you'll see that I smoothed the sharp edge on the horns in the carve and i carefully brought down the very tip edge to match the rest of the binding channel so that the binding will fit properly.  Doesn't look like a lot done now but it's a nice, solid step to move forward.

This week I will order the binding and necessary adhesives and such to install it.  Stay tuned for photos of that project.  Looking forward to it!

In other news, I have found a Vibramute tremolo for it.  Probably the most difficult piece of this project to find and I have one secured.  That's a load off!








3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this story! I reviewed the whole process of creating this guitar. It was very interesting, therefore, this guitar is built by few and almost nobody writes about it. And i want more detailed information)). I've always loved The Ventures group and Mosrite Mark 1. Hope you do not mind a few questions. What kind of wood made the original body of your guitar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best I can tell the body is basswood. That is what Semie used back in the day. As mentioned early in this blog, this body is one that Semie made in about 1992 at the Booneville, AR factory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I also began to build the Mosrite body as the first step of implementing the same little dream. I managed to find guitar shapes, but I do not know the exact size, so I was arranged in relation to the neck. Still, some sizes would like to ask you. What is the total thickness of the body (from the back wall to the front wall in the highest place, at least approximately)? And the thickness from the back wall to the beginning of binding?

    ReplyDelete